Helping to solve the sub-Saharan water crisis
TRANSFORMING LIVES AND FUTURE IN RURAL AFRICA
Co-Founded in 2011 by Nigel Linacre, WellBoring is focused on alleviating the pressing water crisis in rural sub-Saharan Africa. Our primary initiative: drilling wells at rural primary schools, so children and the communities have long-lasting access to safe drinking water.
Since 2011, WellBoring has expanded internationally and now includes foundations and NGOs in the UK, USA, Germany, West Africa and Kenya. Through our projects and your help, over 250,000 people in countries such as Kenya, Gambia, Tanzania, Uganda, and Sierra Leone have been provided with safe drinking water.
We want to provide safe drinking water for a million people across rural Africa. WellBoring is focused on the water problem, which continues to needlessly cause death and illness to millions of people a year worldwide.
The implications of water scarcity stretch far beyond mere thirst.
Our work has many impacts:
- Education: Wells at schools mean more children, especially girls, go to school and spend less time fetching water and more time learning; menstrual hygiene is possible in school.
- Health: Safe water reduces and even eliminates water-borne diseases like cholera, typhoid, and diarrhoea – diseases that disproportionately affect children with catastrophic results.
- Time saved: Localized water sources eliminate the need for long treks, freeing up time for education and other productive pursuits.
- Safety: Nearby water sources reduce risks of sexual violence and protect children from animal attacks and safety hazards.
- Poverty alleviation: Reliable water sources mean less sickness in the community improving small-scale farming and other economic activities.
- Development: The spirits of the whole community is lifted when water is no longer a problem.
EACH DROP OF WATER YOU PROVIDE WITH US IS A STEP TOWARDS SUSTAINABLE TRANSFORMATION
WellBoring delivers a distinctive and immediate enhancement to the quality of life for individuals in rural areas. By fostering better health and education from early childhood, we instil benefits that resonate and cumulate throughout an individual’s life. Our interventions aren’t limited to new well construction; well rehabilitation is equally central to our approach. Our groundwater solutions range from hand pumps to solar well systems with tanks, addressing varied needs, and hygiene training is built into our approach. While wells are our focus, we pilot projects in sanitation, hygiene, and rainwater harvesting.
In Sub-Saharan Africa around 794 million people lack clean drinking water.
Contaminated water causes diarrhoeal diseases, killing 361,406 children under five in sub-Saharan Africa in 2019.
In 2019, Kenya saw 3.5 million cases of diarrheal diseases annually, with a mortality rate of nearly 63.86%.
Almost half of people drinking water from unprotected sources live in Sub-Saharan Africa.
GIVE THE GIFT OF SAFE WATER AND CHANGE IT ALL
In much of rural Africa, the basic need for water is a daunting challenge. Providing safe water and hygiene training has a positive impact on sanitation too. Sub-Saharan Africa has the lowest coverage of both water and sanitation services in the world only 24% of its population had access to basic drinking water, and 28% have basic sanitation facilities that are not shared with other households. Limited coverage leads to health problems, economic hindrance, and limited education for children. Together, we can change this reality.Help us!
Your donation helps to
- Diseases will be reduced
- Children learn safely and well
- Girls have opportunities
- Women are empowered
- Families are healthy and survive
- Reduced carbon emissions
- Hunger and poverty alleviated